Sunday, December 19, 2004

Bahrain National Day, a kooky review

I learnt that if extensive walking is to take place, wear socks that at least covers the ankles.

I set foot my journey to Adliya with getting food as my objective. It was quite chilling then as the wind refuses to stop and bow down even after numerous curses thrown to it. It didn't help also that it has just rained and I wore only a Tshirt as top. Fortunately, after having my lunch, I didn't feel the cold anymore and the breeze became pleasant in fact. Throughout my journey on foot, I came to realise several distinct points yet they didn't come across my mind before. First of all, strangely but true, there aren't many pedestrians around here. Secondly, I don't quite understand why cars and busses that drives pass a pedestrian, which I'm refering to myself at the moment, will need to honk and watch in my direction in amazement. Yeah, I know I'm a Chinese and I'm different. But to me, I'm different because you all are the same. Anyway I finally saw 3 pedestrians at Bani Othman Avenue. They were caucassians and what seem to got me flabbergasted was that they were wearing thick clothes complete with windbreakers. Man, what were they thinking? *shrugs*



The junction of between Bani Othman Avenue and Al Fatih Highway was a mayhem due to the closure of the Al Fatih highway. It was around 3:40pm and the parade has not started yet.







The horses couldn't hold it any longer I think and they happily took a dump whenever they get to pause from the short progress of parade walk. I took these pics using my phone. And there was this Indian who saw me doing that commented about, I presume the parade, "very nice, nice nice". Beside the horses, there are police in bikes, a few groups of childrens and scouts randomly shouting (Okay, they are chanting some arabic phrases which I do not comprehend) and some of those fancy trucks. The whole parade was led by a group of teenagers that were drumming all along. The tune was rather simple. "Tung Duung Tak Dung Tak". Just repeat that until you feel silly doing so. I continue my walk along the Al Fatih and weave my way through the hordes of citizens, mainly local women in abaya. After a while, I realised that I was up the creek without a paddle. In estimation, I guess I will need to walk a 5 km distance to get back. Hence, I might as well walk until the Diplomatic area which is where our local office are, to get a ride back. My colleagues and I went back at around 6:30 pm and the fireworks is still commencing near the bridge connecting to Muharraq. The crowd started to disperse after that I suppose. The aftermath wasn't a pretty one as the traffic can be described as madness. The bottleneck culprit was at the junction of the bridges heading towards Muharraq.