Thursday, May 11, 2006

WangFuJing, Beijing

We headed to Wang Fu Jing for dinner after work. It is one of the busiest area for shopping and food. Our first stop is to this electronics shop. I was looking at the vast selection of DVDs and I was surprised with the price. Most of them are priced from RMB 15 and they were original. The next stop is a huge bookstore though most of the books are in chinese. I bought a bilingual map from there.

Then it's time for dinner, so we went to this much narrow street which is parallel to the Wang Fu Jing street that comprises of a long strech of food stalls. We later settled with the one near the opera singing stage which is a bad choice really. For the sound and the food. There are also shops selling scorpions/seahorse and god knows what with those BBQ sticks. Also there is a wooden structure which I think is the so called Wang Fu Jing well.

Upon finishing our meal, we took a walk there and take pictures along the way. We ended up at this corner just across Sun Dong Xin Place and tried out the weird spherical 360 degrees spinning ride. The ticket cost RMB 20. Due to my forgetfulness, I had to go for a temporary solution to extract the pictures from my camera. I hunted for a SD card reader at one of the shops nearby. The price tag for one is RMB 128, but the shopkeeper offer it at RMB 98. I decided to checkout other shops and she quickly offer it for RMB 78. I was tempted but my colleague suggested RMB 60. The shopkeeper accepted that.

One thing I noticed after taking many trips on taxi is that generally, these taxi drivers, si fus, will ask you to provide detailed direction towards reaching your destination. The fares for the taxis begin from RMB 10 and it increases by RMB 1.

I didn't feel too good after that spinning ride. I felt much better after vomiting when I was in my apartment. I woke up the next day with a stiff neck, sore back and some swollen parts of my back and also slightly at my arms and lower abdomen. I think it has to do with the belts and whatever forces that that thing imposed on me.