Sunday, August 07, 2005

I need to learn so many things

After reading juniortok and inspired by his latest post, I shall post of what I need to learn by working and living in Bahrain.

I too have so many things to learn. I need to learn how to fast and not only in month of Ramadan.

I need to learn that honking here doesn't incite anger, is not rude and is just a way of communication on the road. I need to learn to honk others more often.

I need to learn that chinese food here taste like indian food. I need to learn that chowmein is not the same as fried noodles. I need to learn that fast food does not equal economical food so much so that most labourers here could not afford such a meal.

I need to learn that the water heater follows the weather. I have to learn that there are two kinds of water here; the normal salty tap water and the drinking tasteless sweet water.

I need to learn that people here dress only in either black or white depending on their gender. I need to learn that there are no thin people here. I need to learn that there are many bald people here. And that is why they all wear ghatras (the table cloth head gear). I need to learn that women here shop for clothes, wears them but covers them over with a big black abaya.

I need to learn that in order to grow flowers or even grasses; you need to install water pipes surrounding the targeted area.

I need to learn that teenagers drive Mercedes S Class here. I need to learn that local teenagers hangout in the night sitting in a circle on roundabouts. I need to learn that female teenagers hangout in the night sitting on grasses by the beach.

I need to learn that car wash business here means an Indian on his bicycle with a pail of water. I need to learn that car wash business owners gather around car parks.

Many of these do not make sense to me and perhaps even more so to others reading this. Nevertheless, that is how things are and change is what we have to adapt to.